10 things to make us proudly South African
1. South Africa is one of only 12 countries where tap water is safe to drink. Its tap water is rated the third best worldwide.
2. South Africa is the world’s biggest producer of gold, platinum, chromium, vanadium, manganese and alumino-silicates. It also produces nearly 40% of the world’s chrome and vermiculite.
3. The world’s largest diamond was the Cullinan Diamond, found in South Africa in 1905. It weighed 3,106.75 carats uncut. It was cut into the Great Star of Africa, weighing 530.2 carats, the Lesser
Star of Africa, which weighs 317.40 carats, and 104 other diamonds of nearly flawless color and clarity. They now form part of the British crown jewels.
4. While occupying 4% of Africa’s landmass, South Africa boasts more than 50% of the cars, phones, automatic bank tellers and industrial facilities on the continent.
5. South Africa is a middle income country with a strong emerging economy – the 25th largest in the world - and produces more goods than Portugal, Russia or Singapore. It also has Africa’s biggest economy, three times larger than Nigeria or Egypt.
6. South Africa generates two-thirds of Africa’s electricity and it’s the cheapest in the world.
7. The Kruger National Park nature reserve supports the greatest variety of wildlife species on the African continent. It is roughly the size of Wales, or the state of Massachusetts (USA), which makes it the eighth largest reserve in the world.
8. Home to one of the world’s 6 floral kingdoms, South Africa has one-tenth (23 200) of the world’s flowering plants, of which nearly 19 000 are endemic, making it the richest region in the world in terms of species to area - 1.7 times richer even than Brazil.
9. Table Mountain in Cape Town is one of the seven wonders of the geological world. Standing at just over 580 feet, it dominates the city’s skyline. Table Mountain can be seen as far as 130 miles out to sea.
10. Table Mountain alone has over 1,500 species of plants, more than the entire United Kingdom.